2020 - 2021 School Year
This school year will surely be different than any other, with some children learning remotely, while others learning in school. Regardless, I am excited for another great year. Please check my Schoology pages regularly for updates and assignments. I wish all our families a wonderful and safe school year. Check out Aidan below doing his virtual assignment in PE on the computer!
Welcome back to another exciting school year at Valley View. To learn more about Mr. Saunders' PE classes, watch the video above.
I am looking forward to getting your children physically fit and to teach them various sports, fitness and life skills. Please feel free to check the calendar and links on the left navigation bar to learn more about what is going on in physical education classes at Valley View. I am also the person at the school who does many of the technology projects as well as the safety patrol coordinator. Thank you for visiting my page.
Check out the video above of Valley View participating in Project ACES. Our school had the honor of being selected to be on the Emmy Award winning TV show called Classroom Closeup.
Watch the video above to learn more about our Valley View School comprehensive Physical Education program. The children learn a great deal about fitness, nutrition, adequate sleep, and proper hydration in PE class. Each PE class covers an aspect of wellness, where they children need to incorporate each lesson into their daily routines. The habits children learn at a very young age will carry over into their adulthood while lowering their risk factors for heart disease.
I wanted to personally thank Think Teacher Magazine (above image) for recently honoring me in their "Teacher Appreciation" issue. Being one of 12 teachers selected from the entire state for this recognition was a true privilege. You can read the full article here.
I also wanted to thank the Daily Record for the great honor in November in their column, Ruse on the Loose.
On the last Thursday in September, Valley View's 5th graders will host the annual Exercise US program. Children all over the United States will exercise for 10 continuous hours, starting at 8:00 am (est), and ending at 3:00 pm (pst). Schools nationally will sign up for a 15 minute time slot, until all 40 time slots are filled. Valley View has the first time slot at 8:00 am to kick off the event. Visit the Exercise US web site to learn more! September is also National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month.
On the first Wednesday in May, Valley View will participate in Project ACES (All Children Exercise Simultaneously). Children from all over the world will exercise in unison to promote fitness. Millions of children from all 50 states and over 50 countries will join in. Valley View will also be hosting the event once again. Visit the Project ACES web site to learn more.
In the first week of June, our school will have its annual Field Day. Many volunteers will be needed. Last year, we had over 100 parents (Moms and Dads) join us. WE NEED MORE! Look for the information coming home with your children during the Spring.
I also wanted to share a very interesting video I found recently on obesity.....
Gym Attire Suggestions:
- Secure, comfortable sneakers must be worn on their gym days. Shoes are not permitted. If you child is wearing slip on sneakers, please make sure they are secure. Designer sneakers which are not truly athletic wear are not recommended as they have proven to be very slippery while moving fast on the gym floor.
- Athletic attire is preferred over dressy attire -- plus clothing that will not restrict movement.
- In the colder months, children should dress in layers, so they do not get overheated.
- Important for the lower grades - -If your child has a hard time tying their shoes, consider Velcro instead of laces, or make sure their laces are double knotted tightly.
- Pants length is a major safety issue. If your child's pants run long (below their heal), it could potentially cause a safety concern with a child slipping on the pants when they are mobile.
- Less accessories on gym days - scarfs, jewelery, heavy sweatshirts etc.
- Mark you calendar gym days, so your kids are always prepared.
Thanks for visiting!