Eleanor Klinger, MEd., RN, CSN-NJ
Adrianna Komeshok, MSN, RN, APN-BC
Health Office Hours: 8:15AM - 3:15PM
Phone: (973)331-7100 ext. 2315
Nurses Fax: (973)334-1033
The Role of the School Nurse
School Nursing is a specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well being, academic success, and life-long achievement of students. Certified School Nurses of New Jersey are Registered Professional Nurses with advanced degrees and certification in the specialty of School Nursing. Certified School Nurses hold a standard teaching certificate to provide health curriculum instruction for grades K-12.
To that end, school nurses facilitate positive student responses to normal development. Certified School Nurses promote health and safety, intervene with actual and potential health problems, and actively collaborate with administration, teachers, and support staff to build strong student/family relationships for student self-management, self-advocacy, and learning.
Goals of the School Health Services Program
Our goal is to provide families with an access to health information. We hope you will find this site to be a helpful resource since healthy children are better learners. You will find policies regarding medications, absences, and immunizations. We will also be providing some updated health information as often as we are able. The primary function of the Certified School Nurse (CSN) is to strengthen the educational process through improvement and promotion of student health. Some of the ways this is accomplished are through the following:
- State Mandated Health Screenings Include: vision, hearing, scoliosis screenings, height/weight & blood pressure measurements
- Administration of Medications (please see medication administration policy)
- Determinations regarding School Attendance due to illness or injury
- Illness and Injury Assessment Interventions
- Health and Nutrition Counseling
- Get a good night's sleep!
- Eat a healthy breakfast!
- Come to school ready to learn!
- Don't come to school sick!