Avoid the Summer Slide!
Many students think of summer as a time to forget about school and all of the academic skills that go along with it for a couple of months. Unfortunately, many studies have shown that children who don't read books or review their academic skills over the summer often fall behind their peers who do. Here are some ways to avoid the summer slide!
1. Get a library card from the Montville Library and check out a ton of cool books!
2. For grades K-5, go to the kickoff for Montville Library's Summer Reading Contest , then join the program to earn awesome prizes and rewards!
3. For grades 5 & up, go to the kickoff for Montville Library's Teen Summer Reading Contest , then join the program to earn awesome prizes and rewards!
4. Check out some of the terrific programs offered at Montville Library this summer!
4. Sign up for Scholastic's Summer Reading Challenge to earn cool rewards online, and to try to read for a new world record! (See below)
5. Visit Read Works and print our some summer reading activities, sorted by grade level and/or Lexile level.
6. Visit this awesome collection of websites & apps that I put together especially for the summer!
6. Click on the following links to learn more about the Summer Slide and how your child can avoid it!
Email Mr. Jones with any questions!